Why dog training isn’t working, and what you can do about it!
Kathy starts out this episode with a personal thanks to listener CarolC64 who left a rating and heartfelt comment on the last episode. Our host reminds us that any person who rates or comments can be featured on future episodes as a shout out!
Serious dog enthusiasts understand that our dogs are not condition/response machines. (and don’t want them to be.) They understand that there are so many more sciences at work than the simple behavioral sciences which is why the partnership approach works best. It gives the highest level of effectiveness, connectedness, and is holistic in approach. (behavioral science, cognitive science, neuroscience, epigenetics . . . etcetera)
Kathy explains we have to understand that there are limitations to dog training and we have to face them. We can go beyond positive training with a breakthrough relationship/partnership training that levels us up and has been gaining traction over the last decade. The relationship/partnership method explained:
- Honors and respects our dogs as socially intelligent and emotional beings
- Gives dogs agency to collaborate with us
- Recognize dogs by design, want to connect with us
- Allows us and our dogs to live a more brilliantly awesome life (that’s what it’s all about!)
Kathy Myth Busts the idea of needing to be a better dog trainer: It’s not YOU – The dog training method has limitations!
What can you do instead? Look at the five steps of partnership and heart connection based training below:
- Build a foundation of partnership with your dogs based on trust and intelligence. This allows for specialty training and activities later.
- Learn to have the intention of truly dialoguing with your dogs. Communicating deeply respects your dogs’ innate social and emotional intelligence.
- Be a loving leader and a guide for your dogs,
- Respect your dog as a thinking, feeling, and intelligent being. Open your heart to form a deep connection that flows two ways between you and your dog(s).
- Adopt a relationship building, partnership enhancing lifestyle with your dog(s) that encourages your dog(s) to display attentive, responsive, and responsible behaviors.
Don’t ask which training method is right for you. That’s the wrong question.
Ask: how can I learn to be the best possible partner for my dogs?
In This Episode
- In this episode of Enlightened by Dogs podcast Kathy gets passionate and serious about the biggest myths in dog training:
- Training makes our lives better
- Excessive training confuses our dog(s)
- The dog(s) will try hard to make the correct choices or magic combination of steps, but this can result in
- Frantic behavior
- Emotionally check out/shut down
- I only wish I was a better trainer or had more time to train behavior would be better
- Training makes our lives better
“Don’t ask which training method is right for you. That’s the wrong question. Ask: how can I learn to be the best possible partner for my dog?”
“Partnership, not training, gives you and your dog inspiration and motivation to work through any struggle that comes your way.”
“Respect your dog as a thinking, feeling, and intelligent being. Open your heart to form a deep connection that flows two ways between you and your dogs.”
“My partnership method honors and respects our dogs as socially intelligent and emotional beings and gives dogs agency to collaborate with us.”
Love this and want more?
Subscribe to the podcast in your favorite app … and your rating and review would be most awesome!
Sign up for the next Brilliant Partners workshop:
Show notes: www.dhearts.meltdesigndev.co.uk