If your dog is displaying difficult behavior and not cooperating, it may make you feel like your dog is deliberately giving you a hard time. But the truth is, your dog is having a hard time!
When you have these negative thoughts about how your “difficult” dog reacts to you, it leads to trust leaks in your partnership. But there are ways to turn your thinking around and reframe your dog’s behavior so that it doesn’t damage your bond.
We all have the capacity and capability to start unconditionally loving our difficult dogs. This is true even when they are displaying challenging behaviors. In this episode of Enlightened By Dogs, Kathy explains how to reframe “negative thoughts” about your dog’s behavior and how understanding their personality type can help.
In this episode:
- Why negative thoughts cause trust leaks in your partnership
- Which misconception leads to frustration and anxieties
- What negative thoughts are common for each personality type
- How understanding your dog’s personality can help you reframe your thoughts
- Some BPA examples of working with different personality types
- Three journal prompts to help you start reframing
“Our dogs are having a hard time not giving us a hard time.”
“One of the misconceptions we have is that all dogs are alike and that the same training will be effective for all dogs.”
“What we want to do is to shift our perspective with intention and reframe that ‘negative thought’ into a trust and partnership building thought, instead.”
Love this and want more?
Subscribe to the Enlightened By Dogs podcast in your favorite app! Don’t forget to leave us a rating and review. It would make Kathy and all of her four-legged friends very happy!
Connect on Facebook: facebook.com/dancinghearts/