Join us today as Kathy discusses the impact of reward-based obedience training on the relationship with our dogs. She explains how a transactional approach can damage trust and make cooperation difficult.
The transactional dynamic of reward-based training can lead to power imbalances, erode trust, and cause stress and anxiety for dogs. On the other hand, building a partnership based on trust and love creates a natural and fluid dynamic where dogs are motivated to cooperate without being rewarded for performing specific behaviors.
Embrace a new way of living with your dog that prioritizes trust and love over obedience and rewards.
- The problems with reward-based obedience training and the transactional dynamic it creates.
- The power imbalances that arise in a relationship that is focused on transactions.
- The benefits of a partnership-based approach that is built on love, connection, and trust.
- The negative effects of compliance and obedience-based training include increased stress and anxiety levels, and decreased confidence and cooperation.
“A reward-based transactional approach can erode the trust that forms the foundation of a positive relationship between a dog mom and her dog.”
“Trust and mutual respect can reduce stress and anxiety levels in both the dog and the human.”
“A partnership-based relationship allows the dog mom and their dog to work together as a team, rather than relying on traditional obedience training methods to encourage cooperation.”
“We are culturally conditioned to believe that dogs aren’t capable of choosing to be loving, playful, well-behaved partners without being paid to be so. That is simply not true.”
LOVE TO LEARN MORE?
Become a calm and confident Dog Mom with a cooperative, happy dog … without obedience training, or relying on treats or arousing games, or corrections of any type.
Here are some next steps:
- GET STARTED – Work with Kathy:
- SUBSCRIBE to Kathy’s YouTube Channel:
- LISTEN or READ Kathy’s Podcast and Blog on her Website:
- LET’S CONNECT on the socials for more partnership tips:
- LISTEN TO PODCASTS:
Subscribe to the Enlightened By Dogs podcast in your favorite app! Don’t forget to leave us a rating and review – it would make Kathy very happy!
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Listen on Spotify